Protecting Your Family From the Stomach Flu
Just hearing that a stomach bug is going around work or your child's school can make you feel queasy. After all, gastroenteritis symptoms — including abdominal pain, diarrhea, low-grade fever, nausea and vomiting — can make its typical 24-hour duration feel like the longest day of your life. If a stomach bug's already in your home, count on Centra Care to help your family feel better fast. Our team is here for you seven days a week, with online reservations available.
3 Simple Steps to Avoid Stomach Bugs
A virus usually causes gastroenteritis. It's highly contagious and passes through contact with someone who's sick or contaminated food and surfaces. To help you steer clear of the virus:
- Rinse your produce, cook shellfish thoroughly and avoid sharing food, drinks or utensils
- Sanitize surfaces, such as doorknobs, light switches and refrigerator handles
- Wash your hands often, especially before eating
If You Get the Stomach Bug, Know What to Do
If you get the stomach flu, stay home and avoid preparing food or caring for others. If a family member is sick, keep it from spreading by:
- Allowing sick family members to rest in a separate area, with their own restroom
- Thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting shared surfaces
- Washing any soiled clothing or sheets immediately with hot water
- Washing your hands often
Symptoms will typically ease up after a day or so of rest and plenty of fluids. Watch for signs of dehydration like dry mouth and lethargy, especially in your kids. If the symptoms are persisting, our dedicated providers at Centra Care can help you get on the path to feeling better.