Choose the health content that’s right for you, and get it delivered right in your inbox.
What to Look for and How to Treat Rashes
At Centra Care, our providers see a wide variety of skin rashes every day, and they can have many different causes. You might get a rash after touching something that irritates your skin, like a plant, or a rash can be a sign that something serious is happening inside your body. In any scenario, you can count on our team for answers and guidance.
Types of Rashes to Know
When your skin is inflamed, discolored or feels different than normal, it could be because of a rash. Some common types include:
- Contact dermatitis: a red, itchy rash from a particular allergen or irritant, such as a household cleaner, jewelry or plant, like poison ivy.
- Eczema: these rashes happen in episodes, causing patches of redness and an itchy, burning sensation on cheeks, ankles, neck and sometimes elbows and inner knees.
- Heat rash: this bumpy rash happens when the sweat pores in your body get clogged (often in hot and humid weather), and it can look like a cluster of pimples.
- Hives: these large, swollen and itchy bumps appear as a reaction to something in or near your body, such as medication or a change in your environment.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: this common skin condition is a form of eczema and causes redness and scaling, often on the cheeks, eyebrows and scalp.
When You Need Us, We're Here to Help
Many rashes can be soothed with over-the-counter medications that help them clear up quickly. Others might last longer, be difficult to diagnose and require medical treatment. If you’re concerned about a rash, we’re always here to provide expert advice. We welcome walk-ins and online reservations at every Centra Care location.